Since the early 1990’s filmmaker Jill Sharpe has created an award winning body of work in the documentary genre. Her films have been presented internationally at film festivals and along broadcast airwaves in over 20 countries. Sharpe’s interests span issues of social justice, media and culture.
- 2011 - Bone Wind Fire 30 minute hybrid film (drama/animation) shot on the RED delivered in HD. Funded by the National Film Board of Canada. Director/writer. Current release: Extensive Festival and Gallery Presentations.
- 2001 - CultureJam: Hijacking Commercial Culture 57 min film. Digital Betacam. 35 film festival presentations.Aired on Trio in the US, CBC & Vision in Canada. Independent film made under my company. Director/writer/producer.
- 1999 - In the Company of Fear 52 min film. Digital Betacam. 25 film festival presentations. Aired on Vision TV. (NB: I was the writer and producer on this who developed the project out of my own company - Velcrow Ripper Director)
- 1997 - Healing Beyond a Cure 25 min film. Digital Betacam. Aired on Arte in Europe, Vision TV in Canada. Director/writer/producer out of my own company.
- 2007 - Coporations in the Classroom 46 minute doc. Digital Betacam. Aired on Global Television. Director/writer.
- 2005 - Girls Don’t Fight 46 minute doc. Digital Betacam. Aired on CTV. Director.
- 2004 - Weird Sex & Snowshoes: A Trek Through the Canadian Cinematic Psyche 60 minute clip film doc. Bilingual. Digital Betacam. Aired on The Movie Network, Bravo, Movie Central. Director.
SPECIAL EXHIBITIONS & PRESENTATIONS:
- 2011 - Bone Wind Fire – The Lincoln Centre, New York; Gallery Screenings: Musee Des Beaux Arts, Montreal & Quebec City, National Gallery of Art - Washington, Museum of Fine Arts – Boston, Le Fesnoy – Touicoing France, Centre of Film on Art – Brussels, Georgia O’Keeffe Museum – 125th Birthday Tribute – Santa Fe, Sonoma Valley Art Museum, Emily Carr House –Victoria.
- 2006 - CultureJam - 2 month exhibit at the Sala Rekalde Contemporary Gallery Group show “For All Audiences”, Bilbao, Spain. Guest filmmaker presentation
- 2006 - Culturejam - Rencontres International de Documentaire, Montreal. Invited panelist.
- 2004 - Culturejam - “Canadaʼs Cutting Edge” DFAIT’s exhibit in Taipei, Taiwan Guest presented at Taiwanese Film Centre
- 1999 - In the Company of Fear invited to the United Nations Film Festival. Guest presented at Stanford University
- 1999 - In the Company of Fear presented at Vancouver Film Festival. Presented film as case study for New Filmmaker’s Day
GUEST LECTURING & APPOINTMENTS
- 2008 - Selected for National Art of Doc workshop, Praxis/NFB, Vancouver
- 2008/09 - Guest Film Instructor, University of Ireland, Masters Program, Dublin
- 2006 - Film Workshop Leader, Victoria Film Society, BC
- 2006 - Jury Member, Reel Peace Festival, World Peace Forum, Vancouver
- 2006 - Panelist, Rencontres International de Documentaire, Montreal
- 2002 - Guest Lecturer, Emily Carr School of Design, film
- 1999 - Guest Lecturer & part-time instructor, Vancouver Film School
- 1998/02 - Guest Instructor, Gulf Islands Film and Television School
- 2002/03 - Workshop Leader, Calgary Society of Independent Filmmakers
- 2003 - Moderator, Sharing Stories, Edinburgh, Scotland
- 1999 - Board Member, Canadian Independent Film Caucus, Vancouver
- 1998 - Jury Member, DOXA Film Festival, Vancouver, 1998 Panelist
PRIZES AND AWARDS:
Bone Wind Fire:
- 2012 Won Best Canadian Film, FIFA (International Festival of Films on Art )
- 2012 Won Best Short Documentary, Sonoma Film Festival
- 2012 Won Artistic Innovation Award, Women in Film & Television
- 2012 Won Best Short Documentary, Santa Fe Independent Film Festival
- 2012 Won Best Overall Sound, Nominated Best Doc – Leo Awards
- 2012 Nominated Best Arts Documentary – Golden Sheaf Awards
Girls Don’t Fight:
- 2006 Nominated for Best Sports Documentary, Gemini
- 2006 Nominated for Best Sports Documentary, Leo
- 2002 Won Audience choice award, Auckland International Film Festival
- 2002 Won Leo Award for Best Social Issue Documentary & Best Editing
- 2002 Nominated Donald Brittain Award - Best Social Issue Doc, Gemini
In The Company of Fear:
- 2000 Nominated Best Political Doc, Canada’s Hot Docs
- 2000 Nominated for Vision TV’s Humanitarian Award, Canada’s Hot Docs
Weird Sex & Snowshoes:
- 2005 Nominated Best Arts Documentary, Leo
VISUAL & MEDIA ARTS TRAINING:
- 1986 Royal Conservatory of Music, Grade 10, piano
- 1988 BA ARTS, Honors Role, Glendon College - York University, Toronto
- 1990/92 Film Production & Scriptwriting Courses, Ryerson (P/T) Toronto
- 1993-95 Film Production & Writing Courses, LIFT (artist co-op) Toronto
- 1999 Atlin School of Art , “Idea & the Creative Process”, visual art
- 2001/04 Studio 910, painting collective, Oaxaca, Mexico
- 2005/08 Emily Carr School of Design, painting Certificate courses (P/T)
- 2006 Dutch Master Techniques, mentor Joss Van De Ven, France
- 2007 Primal Painting, mentor Meera, Summer, Ibiza Spain
- 2008 Screenwriter’s Summit, Vancouver Film Centre
- 2008/09 Private painting mentorship with Sheri Bakes, Vancouver BC
- 2009 Ongoing Studio sessions with Jay Snetchko, Vancouver, BC
Speak French & Spanish - dual citizenship EU/CANADA